City guide for

Discovering Novi Sad!

Numerous and various historical and cultural monuments of Novi Sad are on the streets and squares in the old center of the town, that is also commercial and tourist center of the city and a pedestrian zone which stretches for about 500 meters.

Trg Slobode Novi Sad

Trg Slobode (Liberty Square) is the largest central city square, built in the 18th century. On the edges of the square are the buildings from the end of the 19th and early 20th century. Square has always been a place to celebrate important events in the history of the city, as well as a meeting place for people and location where numerous manifestations were held.

In the middle of the square is the monument of Svetozar Miletic, casted in bronze. Together with marble stand it is seven meters high. The monument is work of Ivan Mestrovic and it was positioned twice to the same place. For the first time 1939th year, during World War II when the occupier had intended to remove the monument, but it was hidden by the citizens. After the liberation at 1944, the monument was returned to its original position.

On the west side of the square is the Town Hall built in 1895th in Neo-Renaissance style, designed by architect George Molnar. The facade of the building is a striking Ionic and Corinthian columns. Facade stands out along the 16 Algerian figures that symbolize the various human activities and they are work of Julie Annika. At the top of the building is a tall tower in which there is a bell of St. Florian, patron of the city. Bell was called Matilda, by the name of the benefactress which donated the bell to the fire volunteer squad. Long time ago it served to announce by the number of hits ringtones, the position of the fire outbreak in the city.

Trg slobode Novi Sad
Spomenik Svetozaru Mileticu
Gradska kuca Novi Sad
Trg slobode - Liberty square Svetozar Miletic monument Town Hall

On the opposite side of the square, is a tall catholic church “Name of Mary”. It was built in 1895th in neogothic in style. The interior is decorated with movables of Tirol carver; it has four altars and organ with 24 registers. On the windows are 20 glass paintings, the work of the Hungarian and Czech glass artist. Steep roof and tower are covered with colorful ceramic žolnai. The Clock Tower is 76 meters high.

The longest facade in the old part of town is Hotel Vojvodina, and it’s length is more than 60 meters. The building was built to serve as a hotel in the year 1854. At that time, it was the most modern hotel in the city, with luxurious rooms and bathrooms with hot and cold water, elite restaurant and respectable café.

The only modern building in Freedom Square is a shopping and business center of Apollo, built 1993rd at the site of the first permanent theater in Novi Sad, after which it was named. Cinema is located in the courtyard of the former building.

At the Theatre Square there is a large and modern building of the Serbian National Theatre that was built in 1981. The building occupies an area of over 20,000 square meters and has three scenes. The Serbian National Theatre in Novi Sad is the oldest institution of its kind among the Serbs. It was founded in 1861st and since then, the show played drama. Opera was founded 1921st, and ballet performances started in 1950.

Hotel Vojvodina
Katedrala Novi Sad
Srpsko narodno pozoriste Novi Sad
Hotel Vojvodina Catholic church Serbian National Theatre

Behind the building of the theater's is Uspen church, built in 1774th in the Baroque style. The church is dedicated to the Holy Virgin. Special values are the iconostasis, the wall paintings and carvings of Virgin's throne, the throne of Bishops and the church furniture which are rare works of local wood-engravers. Church is decorated by a baroque tower with three bells.

Tanurdžić palace is the largest palace in the city. Its side wing is in Zmaj Jovina Street, on its longest side it follows the street Modena, while the second wing and a hotel belong to the third Ilija Ognjenovic street. It was built in 1934th bahaus style by a project of architect George Tabaković  for the wealthy merchant Nichola Tandžurović. Part of the building enlarged in 1940 and adapted in hotel, now known as Hotel Putnik.

Tanurdziceva palata
Suveniri u Zmaj Jovinoj ulici
Zmaj Jovina ulica Novi Sad
Tanurdžićeva palace - hotel Putnik Souvenires Zmaj Jovina Street

Zmaj Jovina Street is one of the oldest streets in Novi Sad. It extends from Liberty Square to the bishop's palace. It gained today's appearance in the second half of the 19th century, during the reconstruction of the city after the bombing. The street was once a place with a number of craft and trade shops, and it was called Magazinska alley. By the early 20th century along the street, everything was working from early morning until afternoon, and after cleaning it was a place for an evening promenade.

At the end of the street, in front of the bishop's house, since 1984, there is a monument of Jovan Jovanovic Zmaj, the most famous children's poet, after which street bears its name. The bronze figure is 230 centimeters high and it is placed on the granite pedestal.

At the end of the Zmaj Jovina street, where street separates in the two directions, one toward Danube Street (right), the other toward Pašićeva street (left), stands Vladičin court. It is a residential palace of the Serbian Orthodox Bishop of the Diocese of Backa. The building was built in 1901 in the Serbian-Byzantine style, designed by architect Vladimir Nikolic. The facade is covered with red bricks and decorated with a yellow colored plastic, which are work of Julius Anika, in the pseudo-mavar style. The interior contains a large number of portraits, carved furniture and many other historical and cultural values.

Vladicanski dvor Novi Sad
Spomenik Jovanu Jovanuvicu Zmaju
Vladičin court monument of Jovan Jovanovic Zmaj City library at the begining of Dunavska street

At the beginning of the Dunavska streets, on the corner on the left, there is the city library in the house that was built in 1895.

Dunavska Street is probably the oldest street in Novi Sad. It consists of three parts: from the direction of Zmaj Jovina streets are one-floor houses on the left and right, whose ground floor premises are used for various stores, the second part is the Danube park on one side and command of the garrison, the Museum of Vojvodina and the Historical Museum, on the other side, while in the third part, near the Danube river, is a House of the officers. On the left side of the street are houses in neo-baroque style.

Dunavski Park is the oldest and most beautiful park in Novi Sad. It was built on marshy land, which was often flooded by Danube River. The first trees were planted in the 19th century. Little Lake is a remnant of the former ponds, at that time called Little Liman. In the lake there is a small island, called Erzsébet, after murdered Austrian empress, and on the island there was a weeping willow tree planted. In the middle of a small lake, there is a fountain nymph, the work of the first Serbian educated sculptor Djordje Jovanovic. In the park there are monuments of Đura Jaksic, Branko Radičevića and Miroslav Antic, the famous Serbian poets.

Dunavska ulica Novi Sad Spomenik Djuri Jaksicu Novi Sad Dunavski park Novi Sad
Dunavska street monument of Đuri Jakšiću Dunavski park

Bogatstvo Različitosti


Sightseeing and Excursions in Serbia