Old village Kovilj is situated southeast of Novi Sad, on the banks of the river Danube. The name of the village originated after the name of the flower.
In Kovilj and surroundings, of great importance is the swampy area between the village and the Danube and the Serbian Orthodox monastery. Special Nature Reserve Koviljsko-Petrovaradin rit covers an area of about 5 hectares, near the left bank of the Danube. It is located about 20 km from Novi Sad in the close vicinity of the motorway Novi Sad - Belgrade. It consists of flooded forests with large seasonal pools of river Danube and extensive reed-beds and pastures. Ponds are significant hatchery for about 46 fish species, and forest is habitat for over 170 species of wading birds and other rare birds, such as white-tailed eagle.
Near the village is monastery Kovilj, whose church is dedicated to Archangels Mihajlo and Gavrilo. Today, there is an active male monastery that is built in the second half of seventeenth century. During the Ottoman rule it was destroyed several times. Monastery residences were built in the first half of the seventeenth century, a new church in mid-eighteenth century. During the rebellion in 1848-1849 the monastery was burned and looted, and the new church was built of stones brought from Fruska Gora Mountain.
In the old part of the dormitories is Memorial Museum of Jovan Rajic, one of the first Serbian historians, and the new part of the monastic dormitory opened a workshop for making icons.
In Kovilj is a house of Laza Kostic (1841-1910) of one of greatest Serbian poets, writers and translators.
In Koviljsko-Petrovaradinski rit on Arkanj-branch of the Danube and a few kilometers from Kovilj, is the well-known tavern called “At the end of the world", which are preparing exquisite fish specialties.
Twenty kilometers north of Novi Sad, on the main road to Subotica is a village Čenej. Čenej was created back in the thirteenth century, by grouping of several farms.
There are authentic Vojvodina farms, and outdoor museums on Pannonian plains. The interior of some individual farms is made as ethnological exhibition.
Every spring an event called "Spring in Čenej farms" is held there, whose organizers just for that occasion publish books about life in Vojvodina.
In the village is the Serbian Orthodox church built in 1835.
Nearby is the smaller Čenej civilian airport where there is an Aeroklub Novi Sad.
Futog suburban area is the largest urban community close to of Novi Sad.
First written record of Futog comes from the thirteenth century. At the time of the Austrian Empire Futog was known as significant marketplace and center of great fairs.
Today Futog is famous for its production of cabbage, fresh, sweet or pickled. Each year an event "Kupusijada”, dedicated to cabbage products, is being held in Futog.
In Futog there is a Serbian Orthodox Church of Kuzman and Damjan that was built in 1776. Iconostasis for the church was made by Arsenije Teodorović in the late eighteenth century. In church there is a collection of icons of Paul Simic, made in the sixth decade of the nineteenth century. In the churchyard is the tomb of Smiljka Jovanovic, Jovan Jovanovic Zmaj’s daughter.
Catholic Church - Heart of Jesus, with two distinctive church towers was built in 1908 at the site of the old church from 1776. At the same year was built today's parish house.
Inside the former castle, today is secondary agricultural school which is the host of “Kupusijada”.
The old name of the settlement Celarevo was Cib, and it is located beside the road Novi Sad - Backa Palanka.
In the center of the village is a complex of two former palaces and a park of former owners Dunđerski family. A smaller castle was built at the turn of the eighteenth to the nineteenth century, a large castle was built in 1837 and it was designed by Viennese anonymous architect.
Park around the palace garden is a natural monument of architecture and is under special protection.
Today there is a permanent exhibition at the Castle of antique furniture, decorative and utility objects of applied art from the Baroque to neoclassicism. The exhibition at the Castle in Celarevo is a part of Museum of Vojvodina.
Begečka jama is about 16 kilometers from Novi Sad, on the way to Backa Palanka. Jama is a natural lake and river spawning and dwelling fish, the most common are carp, pike, catfish and other freshwater fish.
On one part of the Begečka jama are arranged beaches and various recreational facilities, and excellent fish restaurants.
Hunting grounds and stables Karađorđevo is located fifty kilometers west of Novi Sad. In the past, it was interactive hunting ground, especially on the big game, and today it is available for a tourist visit.
At the farm they breed horses that are winners of many gallop and harness races in the country and abroad. These horses can be ridden for recreation in nature, and it is also possible to ride in a coach.
Sixty kilometers north of Novi Sad, beside the road Backa Topola - Becej, is the Fantast castle. In the middle of the plains of Vojvodina former aristocrat Bogdan Dunđerski built the castle, little castle, farm, chapel and park with a lake.
The name of the castle was given after the owner’s most famous horse Fantast. Today the castle is an attractive hotel. At the farm there is a horseback riding school, you can also ride a horse in the nature of ride in a carriage.